How to make Cast Paper
You Will Need:
- Use enough Cotton Linters to cover the selected image or mold.
- Put Cotton Linters in blender with 3 cups water. Optional: Add 1/8 tsp Paper Additive for smoother surfaced cast and ph neutral results.
- Blend on low for several seconds, then on high for 45 seconds.
- Pour blended linter through mesh kitchen strainer. Save water in a bowl for next cast.
- Plop pulp onto mold. Pat pulp into image. Maintain uniform thickness as much as possible.
- Tilt mold over bowl. Press water out of wet pulp with fingers.
- Use sponge to remove more water. Press pulp into every detail.
- Use a terry cloth or paper towel to remove the last amount of water. Press firmly.
- Carefully peel cast off mold and dry on a flat surface like a counter top.
- Use an embossing heat tool on back of the cast while still in the mold for 1 minute. Peel cast off mold and dry on both sides with heat tool.
- Leave cast on mold and dry in 275 degree oven. Check after 10 minutes. Drying time depends on thickness of cast.
Add Color To Paper Cast
Tear a 2 x 2 inch piece from a color strip. Add to pulp in blender. Use a larger piece for more intense color.
For more information on paper casting, see the book Arnold Grummer’s Complete Guide to Paper Casting. Additional paper cast projects are in Arnold Grummer’s Project Library