Who is Arnold Grummer?
Arnold Grummer gained understanding of paper’s structure and technology working with PhD scientists while on faculty at the Institute of Paper Chemistry. He later added the duties of Curator of the Dard Hunter Paper Museum where he assisted visitors and correspondents from the world over with scholarly research.
Blending knowledge of historic and scientific paper fields, Arnold Grummer’s respect and passion for paper along with a keenly developed ability to communicate led to five books and diverse presentations with his ‘Great American Paper Machine’.
Arnold Grummer’s credits include television appearances, presentations at the Smithsonians, paper making with a U.S. President and visiting dignitaries.
In 1999 the prestigious paper making society, Friends of Dard Hunter, captured the essence of Arnold’s distinctive contribution with it’s first-ever Lifetime Achievement Award: “For advancing the art of paper making…and sharing your infectious joy of the craft with us all.”
In 2012 Arnold Grummer gained honor for his unique contribution to the Paper Industry by induction to the Paper Industry International Hall of Fame in the category of Service, Educator, Entrepreneur.
For more highlights of Arnold Grummer’s career, books, articles and appearances, see Arnold’s Resume below.
Arnold Grummer’s LLC (the company)
Arnold Grummer’s LLC was founded by Arnold and his wife Mabel in 1976 as Paper Ed/Ex. The company changed names as it grew to become a leading supplier of hand papermaking kits and supplies for the home, studio and classroom in the US and Canada.
Offices are located in Appleton, WI, in the heart of the Fox River Paper Valley.
Arnold Grummer’s (R) is the registered brand name for products developed and sold by Arnold Grummer’s LLC.
Arnold E. Grummer 1923 – 2012
- B.A. Iowa State Teacher’s College (University of Northern Iowa)
- M.A. State University of Iowa
- Arnold Grummer’s (R) President
Appearances, Consultation, Columnist
- Paper Ed/Ex
The Great American Paper Machine
Exhibits, Programs, Lectures
Schools, Museums, Festivals, US and Canada
- The Institute of Paper Chemistry
Graduate Faculty: Dept. of General Studies Editor: General Publications
Curator: Dard Hunter Paper Museum
- Aid Association for Lutherans
- Armstrong Cork Corp
- Iowa State Teachers College
- International Paper Industry Hall of Fame
2012 Educator | Service | Entrpreneur
- Friends of Dard Hunter
2000 Lifetime Achievement Award
- Smithsonian Institution
Bicentennial Celebration: Presentation on the Mall
Museum of American History: 4 appearances
Folk Art Festival: Presentation on the Mall
- Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
- Toronto College of Art
- University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Art Department
Celebrities Who Made Paper With Arnold Grummer
- Richard Nixon (President)
- Govenor Jim Doyle (WI)
- Govenor Tommy Thompson (WI)
- Governor Patrick Lucy (WI)
- Monroe Leaf (Author)
- Mr. Whipple (Please don’t squeeze the Charmin)
- Papermaker in Tights Towne Papermaker
- Bristol Renaissance Faire: 1983 – 1985
Books and Articles
- Trash To Treasure Papermaking Storey, 2011
- Complete Guide To Paper Casting Krause, 2002
- Complete Guide To Easy Papermaking Krause, 1999
- Tin Can Papermaking: Recycle for Earth & Art Greg Markim, Inc 1992
- The Great Balloon Game Book Greg Markim, Inc 1987
- Paper By Kids Dillon Press, 1980
- Paper and Other Writing Materials Colliers
- Paper Scribner’s Dictionary of American History
- The Development of the Test Tube Tree Paper Magazine (London) March, 1977
- Paper (series of three articles) The Correspondent, 1978
- Peerless On Paper (about Dard Hunter) Milwaukee Journal December 28, 1983
- From Rags To Riches: 1851 to 1918 PIMA Magazine
- Many other articles in domestic and foreign trade journals and magazines.
- Paperworks Magazine Columnist, 2003-2006
- Sommerset Studio Contributing Editor, 1997-2000
Video & Film
- PaperMaking Video Workshop (1998)
- Instructional videos featuring the dip handmold. 30 minutes. Greg Markim, Inc
- Fun With The Papermill Video Library (1997)
- Set of three instructional videos featuring the pour handmold. 30 minutes each, 90 minutes total. Greg Markim, Inc.
- The Taiwanian Commercial Hand Paper Making Industry (1965)
- Writer, editor, narrator. Filmwork: Arthur Wakeman. Kimberly Clark CO
National Television Appearances
- HSN Home Shopping Network (2007)
- PBS Creative Living (2006)
- SAH Shop At Home (2005, 2006)
- WGN Morning Show (2004)
- Good Morning Arizona (2004)
- HGTV Carol Duvall Show (1994, 1999, 2000)
- TLC Crafts & CO (1995, Most frequently requested program)
- QVC (1996, 1997)
- FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation
- IRS Internal Revenue Service
- AAFS American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- Independent Assoc. of Questioned Documents Examiners
- TAPPI Technical Assoc. of the Pulp and Paper Industry
- PIMA Paper Industry Management Association
- Graphic Arts International Union
- American Forest Institute
- International Assoc. of Printing House Craftsmen