Follow Your Heart Frame Project
Some supplies used for this project are available on arnoldgrummer.com. Add any of the items shown below to your cart right from this page.
- Creative Paperclay
- Heavy Mat Board
- 1/2 Yard Craft Fabric
- 8 Chalks or Pastels
- Loew-Cornell #0 Round Brush
- Loew-Cornell #12 Flat Brush
- Loew-Cornell Dusting Brush
- Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Spray
- Beacon Fabri-Tac Glue
- Binder Clips
- X-acto Knife
- Waxed Paper or Freezer Wrap
- Prepare the heart mold: Use a brush to lightly dust mold with Arnold Grummer’s Acid pHree Additive, baby powder or cornstarch which will act as a resease agent.
- Make a 1 1/2 inch ball of clay. Flatten and roll out to 1/8 inch thickness on waxed paper or freezing wrap. Cut a square approximately the size of the mold. Sprinkle powder onto one side of the cut square, spread with fingers.
- Turn clay square powdered side down onto mold. Press clay evenly into mold using fingers or palm, being careful not to move the clay. Lift clay from mold. Trim with craft knife.
- Repeat steps above - you will need 12 casts for the frame. Allow casts to dry for 24 hours.
- Cut two 7 1/2 inch squares from heavy mat board. In the center of one, cut an opening that measures 3 1/2 inch x 3 1/2 inch. From scraps, cut three 6 inch x 1 inch spacer strips to glue between the back and front pieces later to make room to insert photo.
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric 1/2 inch larger then the mat boards, and 1 piece the same size as the back. Use Fabric-Tac to glue the fabric to the mat boards around the outer edges, folding in the corners neatly. Glue remaining fabric onto unfinished side of back board. Front: clip a hole in the center of the fabric, cut a slit from the center to each of the four inner corners of the frame, and pull these pieces of fabric to the back of the mat board and glue down.
- Fold the ribbon in half. Thread through the shank of a decorative button, leaving a loop at the top for hanging. Glue ends (at least 1 inch of ribbon) to the bottom back piece of the frame. Glue spacer strips 1/4 inch in from the edge on both sides and bottom. Position the front of the frame on top. Secure with binder clips till dry. Turn the frame over; use a fine line of Fabri-Tac to secure ribbon to the back of the frame.
- Use sponge or eye make up applicators to color the castings with desired chalks or pastels. Use the #0 round brush for small detailing. When decorating is complete, spray each cast with Krylon clear acrylic spray. Allow to dry.
- Position casts on the front of the frame. Glue into place, allowing glue to set before inserting a photo.
Arnold Grummer's Items Used In Follow Your Heart Frame